Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Cinderella

"The clothes I wore
Just don’t fit my soul anymore."
My heart has outgrown my shoes
and my emotions are spilling
out of my shirt like cleavage.

My dreams have been weighed down
by all the rocks that have been thrown at my bedroom window.
So now I dream about riding away
in a pumpkin-turned-princess carriage
with my perfect Prince Charming
and we will live happily ever after.

But they say a dream is merely a wish your heart makes.
Well, my heart has been wishing for quite some time now
and I’m still stuck in this tiny little cottage
in this the middle of this tiny little village.
A place too small for it’s population,

A place where popularity is a necessity,
but God is an option.

This is where fairy tales are just books
in a world where nobody reads
and although I long to live in a land far, far away,
I am just the girl next door,
who can wish as many times as she wants,
but whose fairy godmother just never shows up.

And my name must taste good
Cause it’s always in somebody’s mouth
And those who talk about me
Only use the words “that girl”

That girl
The one with stringy brown hair
The one who wears too much makeup
The one who goes through each day
   pretending to be something she’s not.

But how do they know if I’m pretending
   if I’ve been pretending from the start?

My life has never known uphill
Because each time I fail to hold myself together
and my heart spills off of my sleeve
shattering on the ground,
I, once again, sweep up the pieces,
form makeshift ventricles
and place it gently back into my chest
to let it begin its next decline.

I am not perfect,
but I decided long ago
that I will always allow myself
to keep falling for the endless lies and
deceit of the corrupt universe we call home.

Because you never know.
Maybe Prince Charming does exist…
- Analeigh Barnes (Fall 2010 - Bucket Lines)

No comments:

Post a Comment